Tuesday, March 2, 2010

mom always says...

.....don't play ball in the house!

I can't tell you how many times I have said it. And yet the words no sooner leave my lips and the boys are right back at it, playing basketball in the house, using the walls as their hoop. Tonight, Koby had a first hand lesson in why this rule exists in almost every house across the country.

Exhibit A:



All I heard was a crash.
All I saw was a seven year old with a look of bewilderment on his face.
All I said was, "KOBY AUSTIN! THIS IS WHY I TELL YOU NOT TO PLAY BALL IN THE HOUSE! THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I SAY THAT!(yada, yada, yada....I rambled for a few minutes on why parents have rules, why it is important to follow rules, Webster's definition of rules, and on, and on, and on...if you have children, I'm sure you can imagine the rant I was on)

Exhibits B, C, and D:






Koby ran upstairs, red-faced, and for once, speechless. A moment later, his wallet flew over the stairs (his non-verbal way of saying, "I broke it, I'll pay for it".)

We returned the wallet (and yes, all his money was still in there).

He retreated to his room once again and shortly after came down, apologized and gave me a peace offering he had hand-crafted while in his room:



A Build-a-Bear hanger decorated with stickers and pipe cleaner with a note attached that read, "I'm sorry I broke your fan"

Lesson learned.
Forgiveness granted.

20 minutes later, he was playing basketball again...
.....in the house!

No comments: